How to Make a Terracotta Pot Table

A few weeks ago, I shared my poolside seating makeover and the terracotta pot table has been wildly popular!  Since I’ve had a number of questions about it, I decided to share a full tutorial.

To make a table from a terracotta pot, you’ll need a large terracotta pot, a large terracotta tray, and outdoor paint.  I used DecoArt Patio Paint {affiliate link}.

Be sure the pot is tall enough to sit at a good height for a table and make sure the tray sits on top of the pot without sinking in.

how to make a terracotta pot table

Tape around the bottom edge of the pot rim {see arrow} to ensure a straight paint line, then fill in the entire rim with outdoor paint.

Since it’s too difficult to tape a rounded curve, simply freehand the edge of the tray, and fill it in completely with paint.

Make sure that all top edges that show are covered in paint.  I used two coats and then let the paint dry for the length of time suggested by the manufacturer.

That’s it!

how to make a terracotta pot table

Just a few easy steps and you have a cute and unique outdoor table that can also act as a storage spot.

Randi Dukes About Randi Dukes

I’m Randi, a wife and stay-at-home mom of five kids, ranging from preschool to high school. I love strong coffee, craft and DIY projects, my planner, my laptop, and my big ol’ family. When I’m not creating something for my blog, I can be found in the car, running kids from one place to another. I’m the one knitting at the red light.

Comments

1. I love this table! What a great idea. I think I might have to make one for our patio. So cute!

I’d love for you to come share this at our Pinteresting Party! It kicks off every Saturday.

2. Yay! I’ve been waiting for this post, Randi. LOVE this table! :)

3. Your craft ideas are the best and your photos are so colorful. I know this will match the adirondack chairs from a few weeks ago.

4. How cute! I love that it can be used as storage too!

5. I love this! Yesterday I told my husband that next summer, we are going to have nice outdoor furniture and a cute colored outdoor rug and it was totally because of that post. We might need a table like this, too!

6. Anonymous says:

This is so cool and easy to make thanks for sharing

7. What can you put in it? I can’t imagine it can hold all that much…Ideas from the group…?

8. I love this! Terra cotta pots and saucers are one of my favorite things and this is perfect! The size reminds me of a garden stool! Great project! xo

9. hey well aren’t you so clever Randi! this is wonderful :-)

10. What a wonderful idea! The color is great too.

11. Saw this on Hometalk and I wanted to stop by and say I love it! I see a project in my future!

12. Good job and great idea!

13. Great idea!

14. Simply adorable. Saw this on Hometalk! Following you on pinterest and facebook!

15. Anonymous says:

I put mine on wheels!!!!

16. Such a great idea! We’ve been needing a very small outdoor table, and this is perfect! I love that you can use it for storage as well!

17. Anonymous says:

I love the rug! Would you mind sharing where I can find it?

18. Anonymous says:

Be sure to store it indoors during the winter months. Terra cotta that is left out in the cold will end up crumbling into bits (I’ve learned through experience!). Love the table idea, will have to try it.

19. Beautiful! And so useful. Love it. One comment…I used a wine cork to plug the drain hole in the pot. Ants can be a nuisance in my area, and I felt this plug would help keep them from getting inside. I am hoping to make another and put it in my flower bed. I would store my garden gloves and hand tools inside it. Thank you for such a great idea.

20. I am a single mom of a teen age son and I can’t afford patio furniture, however THIS I can do! Love it, I am going to do mine with glow in the dark colored paint. In two tones if I can.

21. Could you line the inside with insulation (like the inside of a cool bag) and use it as an ice bucket?? Wonder if that would work? Will be making this for my garden!

22. I love this idea, and really want to do it, but have been everywhere in my area that I can think of, and can not find a large enough clay pot and saucer. Any ideas?

• Randi Dukes Randi Dukes says:

I think your best bet is to hit up a garden store. I found my pot at Calloway’s {I think they’re only in Texas} and they definitely had the best size selection. I hope you find one!

23. Tracie Black says:

I’d plug the hole on the pot and either add sand to weigh it down or paint the inside of the pot and put ice inside to add a few drinks too.

24. Making two right now. Using spraypaint. Yay! They’re looking good!! Thanks for the idea. I am filling mine half with sand so people can but their cigarette butts in them. Then I can scoop out after party and put lid on. Table again!.