A Peppermint Serving Tray

I first saw this peppermint serving tray idea in Southern Living and I loved it!  What a beautiful foundation for a cheesecake or a pie … or anything, for that matter.  I’d love to deliver a peppermint platter of cookies to someone.

peppermint serving tray

This idea has been pinned on Pinterest and I’ve seen varying reviews and results.  I think there’s a simple trick for success: bake the mints in a pan with edges.  I lined a cake pan with parchment and filled it with mints then baked at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.  The candies all melted together but since the pan has edges, the peppermint plate didn’t spread and become really thin.
peppermint serving tray

I allowed the mints to cool for a few minutes and then lifted the peppermint plate out by the parchment edges.  The peppermint plate is thick enough to carry by itself without fear of breaking and actually isn’t very fragile at all.

peppermint serving tray

I let it cool fully and I’ll use this peppermint serving tray to hold a chocolate cheesecake on Christmas Day.

peppermint serving tray

So beautiful and festive.  Wouldn’t Jolly Ranchers make a fun serving plate for a kids’ party?

Comments

1. says

How funny, I pinned this last week and we are trying it tonight! So sorry about your son, glad to hear he is doing ok.
    Merry Christmas,
    Alexis

2. says

So glad this showed up in my Pinterest following window … this is so cute, sounds like an easy christmas craft, must smell delicious, and what a great compliment to a home made food gift. I’m pinning this myself and definitely going to try it. Thanks for the tip about using a pan with sides to prevent too much “spread”. Happy holidays 2012 a bit early :)

3. says

How cool is that! Yes…Jolly Ranchers would be cool too. This could work w/ a bunch of candies I bet. Butterscotch is another one. Life savers? Thank you so much for stopping by our party! Merry Christmas Randi! …pinning this one!!! :) ~ Julie

• Randi Dukes says

Once it cools, it’s not sticky at all. It’s smooth just like a plate. It feels exactly the same as if you rubbed a dry mint … not sticky unless/until it gets damp.

• Jill says

On the moisture issue– what about putting a little packet of silica gels in the container that is holding the melted candy plate? These are used all the time in food ie bags of beef jerky. I think that if you keep the dish in a container with the gel packets it will keep it dry– then pull the dish out when you need to serve your dessert just beforehand so it isn’t all soggy at the buffet table. I think putting the dish in the fridge would create a moisture problem too.

4. Janet says

I have made one. YES they are very sticky if you handle them at all or use them for food service. If the food has any moisture in it all all the candies with the moisture. Was a mess.

• Randi Dukes says

Interesting, Janet. I used mine to serve a cheesecake and didn’t have any issue with stickiness at all.

5. ruth says

My sister just showed up at my house with one she made for me. I absolutely adore it, but it is sticky. I was wondering if I put a coat of shellac on it, if that would help. Also is this a one time use item or can it be preserved to use over and over. I can’t imagine it can be cleaned if used for a cheese cake unless it has some sort of protectant on it..

• Randi Dukes says

Mine was never sticky so I really think the environment plays into it. Mine was a one use item because after I served cheesecake on it, it couldn’t be washed. It’s worth trying to shellac it if you want to save it {although I have no idea if it’ll work or not} but then it wouldn’t be food safe so you’d need to use parchment between the tray and the food.

6. Amelia Shearer says

I combined this idea with an idea someone posted from Pinterest melting down plastic beads to make stained glass looking ornaments – I put the mints in a cupcake pan (3 mints per cup), and melted for 10 minutes at 250 (I wanted them more melted together than you had for the serving tray). Then we coated in a clear coat nail polish to keep from getting sticky when handled, and Krazy glued a ribbon to the back for handmade “Orna-mints” :-) There was no need for wax paper or anything in the cupcake pan – if I let them cool completely they just popped right out.

• Randi Dukes says

Such a fun idea! And great to know that the nailpolish helps to keep it from getting sticky if you’re using it for a non-food purpose. Thanks for sharing!

7. Robert says

My moms birthday is Christmas Day and always make her a cake. I wanted to do this to serve the cake on. Came our GREAT but was wondering if anyone has had luck getting all the wax paper off? I tried it like described and then again with a coat of nonstick spray. The one I sprayed came of better but was still now easy to remove.

• Randi Dukes says

I have a feeling the wax paper melted onto a bit and you may not be able to get it all off. I used parchment paper … that won’t melt and just peels right off. You can buy it at any grocery store.

8. Sylvia says

i have made these several times, used parchment paper, had no issue at all getting it off but I waited until it had cooled a bit. I also have never had the “sticky” issue so don’t know what that’s about. I made them a few days before my party and just left them on the counter. No problem. I used them as cookie plates for my children’s teacher gifts and mounded them with peanut butter balls for the party then just threw them out. They are adorable.

9. Sylvia says

Jolly ranchers and other candy doesn’t melt properly or harden once you heat it. Only star lights work

• Randi Dukes says

That’s great to know … I haven’t tried it with jolly ranchers but wanted to. Thanks for the information!